Tuesday, May 28, 2019
Contact Kaylee Weatherly
phone (562) 714-8250
Free 8th Annual Lawn-to-Garden Tour and Festival Celebrates Growing Local Love
Tour features 20 newly transformed gardens throughout the city and a water education festival at Long Beach Water
WHEN: Saturday, June 1, 2019
Tour: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (self-guided tour throughout the city)
Festival: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Long Beach Water, 1800 E Wardlow Road)
WHAT: Long Beach Water’s Lawn-to-Garden (L2G) program helps our community members make the switch from thirsty turf to a beautiful, water-wise landscape. This fun, free event celebrates our community’s sustainability efforts and features 20 newly transformed gardens throughout the city.
From 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., travel to different houses throughout Long Beach that have transformed their landscapes into water-wise gardens on the self-guided Tour.
- Search “LBWD – L2G Tour and Festival” on your iOS and Android stores to download the free, OnCell app that displays the tour homes and plant lists of each featured home.
- Talk directly with the homeowners about their L2G experiences and get their best tips for transforming your lawn into a beautiful, water-wise landscape.
From 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., join us at the Festival at Long Beach Water for:
- Delicious food and beverages available for purchase by Certified Blue Restaurants Aguas Way and Rance’s Chicago Pizza
- A participatory, community mural designed by local artists Jose M. Loza and Ramon Rodriguez Crespo, in partnership with the Arts Council for Long Beach
- Water-wise gardening workshops that feature free City resources
- A California-friendly plant sale
- See insects, reptiles and amphibians close-up with an educational naturalist
- A sustainability resource fair featuring 15 community organizations that can help you lead a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle
- Games, face painting and crafts for the whole family
- Raffle of water-wise and local, Long Beach prizes
New this year! The L2G program financial incentive is at an all-time high to help you transform your thirsty and non-functional grass to beautiful, water-wise gardens. At the Festival, learn about the increased incentive of $3 per square foot for front yard conversions and the new $2 per square foot for backyard and side yard conversions. The incentive applies for residential landscapes up to 5,000 square feet.
TOUR: A detailed map with directions to each Tour house can be provided upon request or registration. Residents can register for the Tour map at lblawntogarden.com.
FESTIVAL: 1800 E Wardlow Road