Best Management Practices for Pool and Spa Owners
LBWD is encouraging pool and spa owners to continue water conservation efforts with the tips below.
- Pools covers significantly reduce water lost to evaporation. Pool covers not only conserve water but also reduce the need for chemicals and reduce energy costs for heated pools.
- Shut off all water features including waterfalls and fountains to reduce water loss and evaporation.
- Check the pool periodically for leaks.
- Use a cartridge pool filter which does not require backwashing.
- Incorporate a pre-filter into your system which can reduce the water needed to clean sand and cartridge filters.
- Keep pools and pool filters clean to minimize the frequency of filter backwashing. Check automatic timers to adjust the frequency and duration. If possible, utilize filter backwash water on lawns or shrubs (if chlorine levels are acceptable at less than 3 mg/L).
- Lower pool temperatures to reduce the water lost to evaporation and save energy.
- Plug the overflow line when pool is in use.
- Spas should also be equipped with a cover.
- Maintain chemicals to extend water life.
- Check the equipment for leaks.
- Check with your pool service professional for new technology that helps keep the water clean and reduce the need to drain the spa.